Unlocking private capital for nature-based solutions in emerging and frontier markets
Nature-based solutions (NbS) protect, restore, and sustainably manage natural ecosystems for the benefit of climate, biodiversity, and people – and there are encouraging examples of private funding for them. Yet many of the world’s most climate-critical ecosystems are located in frontier and emerging markets which face significant barriers to private investment.
This report covers:
- Why nature-based solutions should be a top priority for climate investment
- Challenges of investing in NbS, particularly in emerging and frontier markets
- How corporate commitments and carbon markets are improving returns and opening new opportunities for private investment into NbS
- Guiding principles for developing high-impact, high-integrity NbS
- Recommendations for donors and development finance institutions for catalyzing private investment into NbS